Job Description: Equine Animal Welfare Worker
Site: Church Knowle, Wareham, Dorset
Responsible to: Centre Manager
Animal Sections: Equine
Main Purpose of the role
To undertake all routine animal checks and husbandry relevant to the animals in your care, ensuring exemplary standards of animal welfare. To maintain associated records in accordance with Margaret Green Animal Rescue (MGAR) policies.
• To support animal rehoming processes and administration.
• To deliver high standards of customer service across all stakeholders.
• To support and promote the work of the charity.
• To represent the charity in a professional and caring manner.
• Minimum of NVQ Level 2 qualification in Equine Management
• Full manual driving licence
• Experience in caring for equines in an employed capacity
• Experience of working or volunteering at a visitor attraction
• Worked or volunteered within the charity sector
• Familiar with Microsoft Office programmes
The successful candidate will be a team player, friendly and approachable but with the ability to work on their own as part of a wider team. They will have excellent communication skills and demonstrate a professional and courteous approach to colleagues and members of the public.
With a resilient and positive outlook, they will be committed to the aims of Margaret Green Animal Rescue and demonstrate empathy towards animals, with a clear understanding of the standards required to ensure animal welfare needs are fully met.
This job is physically demanding and all employees are required to maintain a suitable level of fitness to enable them to perform their job effectively.
• Work as directed by the Centre Manager or Centre Deputy Manager.
• Day-to-day care of equines, including husbandry, exercise, enrichment, training and administration of medication as required.
• Support animal adoption processes.
• Support other team members and volunteers as directed by the manager/deputy.
• Maintain high levels of hygiene and cleanliness within your section and communal resources as allocated.
• Work in accordance with Health and Safety and MGAR policies.
• Present a professional and friendly approach to customers and visitors both face to face and over the phone.
• Maintain accurate paper and electronic records to include admission, adoption and veterinary information.
• Assist with the promotion of the charity including fundraising events, publicity and educational activities.
You will be required to work a 37.5-hour week over five days including some weekend days and bank holidays on a rotational basis. Due to the nature of the work it may at times be necessary to exceed these hours when workload demands. Our normal working hours are 08.00 – 16.30.
This job description is not exhaustive